[Insight-users] Summer School on Medical and Molecular Imaging, and BioInformatics

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Mar 26 16:30:27 EDT 2009

Summer School on Medical and Molecular Imaging, and BioInformatics

Lipari, Italy: July 11-18 2009

WEBSITE: http://lipari.dipmat.unict.it/LipariSchool/CS

The Twenty-first International School for Computer Science Researchers
addresses PhD students and young researchers who want to get exposed to
the forefront of research activity in the field of Molecular and Medical
Imaging. The school will be held in the beautiful surroundings of the
Island of Lipari.

____________

List of speakers

Nicholas Ayache

Research Director at INRIA Sophia-Antipolis, France

Mike Brady

Professor of Information Engineering, University of Oxford

Jim Duncan

Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Yale University, CT

Roger Gunn

Director, Molecular Image Analysis at GSK, UK

Richard M. Leahy

Signal and Image Processing Institute,University of Southern California

Gene Myers

Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Ashburn, VA

Daniel Rueckert

Professor of Visual Information Processing, Imperial College, London

Julia Schnabel

Medical Vision Laboratory, University of Oxford

_________

Directors

Prof. Mike Brady, (University of Oxford), Co-Chair

Prof. Roberto Cipolla, (University of Cambridge), Co-Chair

Prof. Alfredo Ferro, (University of Catania), Co-Chair

Prof. Giovanni Gallo, (University of Catania), Co-Chair

_________

Topics covered by the School: http://lipari.dipmat.unict.it/LipariSchool/CS/

Nicholas Ayache Lectures

1.         Cortex Variability from sulcal lines extracted from a
database of MR images

2.         Tumor growth from time series of MR images and
physiopathological models

3.         Cardiac function from images and physiological models

4.         Mosaicing of/ in vivo/ microscopic images

Mike Brady Lectures

1.         Feature detection and density estimation in medical image
analysis

2.         Image analysis in colorectal and liver cancer

3.         Some aspects of molecular imaging: glycolysis, hypoxia, and
optical image analysis

Jim Duncan Lectures

1.         Recovery of Soft Tissue Deformation from Medical Images
(mainly work on the Left ventricle of the heart and brain shift in
epilepsy surgery)

2.         Geometric Strategies for Neuroanatomic Analysis from MRI
(mostly different approaches for cortical + subcortical segmentation)

3.         fMRI Analysis Using Prior Information

4.         Registration and plan updating for Image Guided Intervention
(primarily for Epilepsy, Neurosurgery and/or Prostate Radiotherapy).

Roger Gunn Lectures

1. Physics, Biology and Modelling Precursors for PET Molecular Imaging

         - Physics

         - Biology

         - Modelling

                 -Spatial Processing

                 -Input Functions

2. Quantitative Analysis of Dynamic PET Molecular Imaging Studies

         - Tracer Compartmental Modelling

         - Reference Tissue Approaches

         - Basis Function Approaches

3. Development and Validation of CNS PET Molecular Imaging Probes

         - What kind of properties does one need

         - Experiments to do to validate probes

         - Examples

         - Biomathematical modelling approaches

4. Application of PET Molecular Imaging to CNS Drug Development

         - The drug discovery and development process

         - Biodistribution Studies

         - Occupancy Studies

Richard Leahy Lectures

1. Image Estimation for Molecular Imaging 1: Statistical and physical
models and Bayesian estimation

2. Image Estimation for Molecular Imaging 2: Image analysis and detection

3. Mapping brain function with magnetoencephalography (MEG) 1: forward
models and inverse methods

4. Mapping brain function with magnetoencephalography (MEG) 2:
detecting and modeling cortical interactions and networks

Gene Myers Lectures

Arguably the most significant contribution of the human genome project
is that we can now build a recombinant construct of every gene and every
promotor in C. elegans (worm), D. melanogaster (fly), M.  musculus
(mouse), and H. sapiens (human).  These include fluorescent proteins and
other markers that can be induced at controlled time points via a change
in temperature, light, or chemistry.  Combined with tremendous advances
in light and electron microscopy in recent years, I believe we are now
poised to visualize the meso-scale of the cell, and the development
small organs (e.g. a fly's brain) and organisms (e.g. the worm) at the
resolution of individual cells.

These advances will require new imaging and data-mining methods for what
I call "imaging bioinformatics".  Many of the problems resemble those
that arising in medical imaging but at a different scale and resolution.
Toward this end, my group is working on a number of imaging projects
along these lines.  These include (a) the biophysica of mitosis, (b)
studies of gene expression in individual cells within the worm C.

elegans, (c) a detailed reconstruction of a fly's brain including it
developmental partitioning into linages, and (d) a high-throughput
microscope to image the volume of an entire mouse brain at 1 micro
resolution (4.2 trillion voxels) in less than a week. I will spend my
lectures introducing the relevant biological background and the nature
of the computational problems, as well as going into some detail on the
major methods we employ to solve these problems.

Daniel Rueckert and Julia Schnabel Lectures

1. Non-rigid registration I: Theory and Methods

2. Non-rigid registration II: Advanced Methods and Validation

3. Cardiac and respiratory motion modeling using registration

4. Neurological image analysis using registration

Reading Group

Prof. Mike Brady will lead the session marked "Reading", which will be
based on the weekly reading seminar he has lead in Oxford for the past
20 years.  The students will be assigned a paper in advance of arriving
in Lipari and will be expected to have read it thoroughly.  They should
be prepared to explain the content, either in broad outline, or on
detailed points, to all the rest of the students.