[Insight-users] GDCM and ITK

poireau joelthelion at laposte.net
Mon Mar 30 08:36:39 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding DICOM support in ITK. According to the documentation, ITK ships with version 1.2 of GDCM, which is a quite outdated version of the dicom library.
GDCM 2.x seems to have a lot of nice features which I'd like to use, but I'm not sure if I can safely mix gdcm 2.x and ITK, since ITK depends and contains the 1.2 version of the library. I'm afraid the two would collide and cause linking problems.

So:

1) Any experience mixing gdcm2.x and ITK? How do you do it? Did you run into any problems?

2) Why does itk ship the old version of gdcm? Is that planned to change sometime?

Thanks a lot!

joel