[Insight-users] GDCM and ITK

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 09:05:40 EDT 2009

> But you can safely use ITK_USE_SYSTEM_GDCM and point to a a gdcm 2.x
> installation.
>
>> So:
>>
>> 1) Any experience mixing gdcm2.x and ITK? How do you do it? Did you run into any problems?
>
> See above. I have been recently reported an issue with ITK + GDCM 2.x,
> I had broken the old (untested) API that was inherited from
> itk::DicomImageIO. So a couple of users have started using it.
> Other than that it should work as a complete (better) replacement for
> gdcm 1.x. Be warned that reading DICOM file will be much faster, you
> may want to insert a couple of 'wait()' function in your code, to
> completely reproduce the old gdcm 1.x behavior.

Is there any thing special needed to get the dicom metadictionary? I
installed gdcm and recompiled gdcm and itk to use it. I have enabled
USE_SYSTEM_GDCM in itk 3.12. However now all my calls to
itk::ExposeMetaData return nothing. And the reader has empty strings
for GetPatientName GetPatientSex ...

John