[Insight-users] Memory Management

Andreas Schuh andreas.schuh.84 at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 31 17:31:29 EDT 2009

Hi Michael,

yes, a smart pointer variable decreases the reference counter of the
referenced object when it is destroyed, e.g. by leaving the scope it was
declared in. If the reference counter of an object becomes zero, the
object destroys itself.
But be aware of cyclic references. So if object A has a smart pointer
member variable that references to object B and object B has a smart
pointer variable that references to object A, neither of them will ever
be destroyed, unless you force the release of one of them.

--
regards
Andreas