[Insight-users] Problem with MultiResImageRegistration2.cxx: Doesn't work with rotation

Albert Gubern bertkrek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 23:02:40 EDT 2009

Hi,

I'm using MultiResImageRegistration2.cxx in order to correct global pose
differences of two images. I am testing this example with images from
Examples/Data of ITK source: BrainProtonDensitySliceBorder20.png as a fixed
and BrainProtonDensitySliceR10X13Y17.png as a moving.

The registration works if the moving image only has a translation but it
doesn't work with the images that i'm testing it (translation and rotation).

I have tuned the parameters following the instructions of
http://www.itk.org/pipermail/insight-users/2007-March/021435.html but it is
no way to obtain a good result. If I set the translationScales and
rotationScales with the same value (for example 1), the result image appears
correctly rotated but in the right corner of the top of the image
(test1.png). Otherwise, if I set the translationScales with smaller values
than rotationScales ( 1/1000 and 1 respectively) the images appears
correctly in the center but not enough rotated. The maxStep length is 0.1,
the minstepLength 0.001, 100% of samples and 128 number of bins.

I tested with a lot of combinations of parameters with and without sense,
and I don't understand the behaviour. What is the problem? Is The way how I
tune the parameters? This framework it isn't right for translation+rotation?

Thanks in advance,

--
Albert