[Insight-users] ITK numbers

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun May 3 15:42:18 EDT 2009

Hi Ghassan,

Your question is a quite interesting one.

---

Our numbers for activity and adoption are usually the follwing:

A)  From Ohloh:
     https://www.ohloh.net/p/3240/factoids/1182436

     "[ITK has a] Very large, active development team
      Over the past twelve months, 39 developers contributed
      new code to Insight Toolkit."

      This is one of the largest open-source teams in the world,
      and is in the top 2% of all project teams on Ohloh."

      For this measurement, Ohloh considered only recent changes
      to the code. Over the entire history of the project,
      107 developers have contributed."

B) Number of subscribers to the ITK users list:    1,713
    from: http://www.itk.org/mailman/roster/insight-users

C) Number of subscribers to the ITK developers list: 388
    from: http://www.itk.org/mailman/roster/insight-developers

D) Number of downloads of the most recent release (ITK 3.12): 2,946

    from:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=108122&package_id=116777

    This is the sum of download for the files:

     	InsightToolkit-3.12.0.zip
     	InsightToolkit-3.12.0.tar.gz

     ITK 3.12 was released on Feb 28. So this is the number of downloads
     for 2 months.

     This unfortunately does not include CVS downloads.

E) Number of emails / month in the users list:

          Apr   2009:  368
          Mar   2009:  467
          Feb   2009:  452
          Jan   2009:  315

F) Number of emails / month in the developers list:

          Apr   2009:  325
          Mar   2009:  233
          Feb   2009:  263
          Jan   2009:   94

G) About adoption highlights:

G.0) ITK is a component of Osirix, (as it is VTK)
      http://www.osirix-viewer.com/
      It's users mailing has 3,649 subscribers, with a number of
      emails per month around 300:

G.1) ITK is used by Analyze
      http://www.analyzedirect.com/

G.2) The National Cancer Institute (NIH-NCI) has adopted ITK (and VTK)
      as essential components of the caBIG (Cancer BioInformatics Grid)
      platform. In particular for its XIP component:
      http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2039820

G.3) Siemens has adopted ITK (and VTK) as foundation element
      of its contributions to XIP:
https://collab01a.scr.siemens.com/xipwiki/index.php/Main_Page
https://collab01a.scr.siemens.com/xipwiki/index.php/Image_Processing_with_ITK

G.4) GE Uses ITK at the R&D center
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_Job_Opportunities#June_2004:_Computer_Vision_Research_Position

   and for analyzing images for non-destructive testing:
   http://www.ge.com/research/grc_4_13_2.html

   In general, statistics about adoption by Industry are difficult
   to gather, since many companies are shy when it comes to publicly
   recognizing their adoption of Open Source software.

   Something that in the case of the BSD license is actually a
   violation of the license (conditions 2 and 3 of the BSD),

   and therefore amounts to Copyright Infringement...
   but....
   let's not go there    :-)

   Most of what we know about industry adoption comes from
   Job announcements in which ITK is listed as a desired skill.