[Insight-users] Automated Image Registration (AIR) Voxel Value Ratio Varance Cost Function

Geoff Topping g_topping at hotmail.com
Mon May 4 17:43:36 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I've searched through the ITK software guide and code, but I can't find any image registration metric that implements the Automated Image Registration (AIR) cost function as developed by Woods et al. (Woods RP, Cherry SR, Mazziotta JC. Rapid automated algorithm for
aligning and reslicing PET images. Journal of Computer Assisted
Tomography 1992;16:620-633).

This algorithm computes the ratio of overlaid voxels in two images being registered, and finds the variance of these ratios, which is used as its cost function.  It seems like this would be a useful algorithm to have in ITK, particularly for intramodality same-subject iamge registrations.

So, I'm wondering if this is already present and I've missed it, or if it can be implemented as a combination of existing ITK features (normalization of the images and and some other cost function, perhaps?) or if it would need to be implemented.  If it's not available yet, is there a reason for this besides nobody having done it yet?

Thanks,
Geoff Topping