[Insight-users] Adapt mesh to a binary volume or contour set

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Fri May 8 12:25:43 EDT 2009

Yogish:

If you are looking to retriangulate the edited contour stack, there are a
couple of approaches.

1. Use vtkRuledSurfaceFilter.

It will work only if the resolution in Z is pretty good (comparable to the
axial resolution) and if the contour lines are sort of parallel (which is
the case when you edit slice by slice segmentations.)

2. You could simply try applying marching cubes to the 3D volume constructed
from the binarized stack of the contours. And then smooth the mesh etc.

3. You could get some level of improvement by constructing a distance map to
the stach along each slice and then retriangulating with MC as described in

  http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/2009-April/100672.html

4. You can ignore the topology and attempt the triangulate based on the
points in the contour. You'd be looking for reconstructing a surface from a
point set:  vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter or delaunay triangulation, but I
doubt if you'll get satisfactory results, since this is a far more
complicated problem

Hope this helps
--
karthik