[Insight-users] ITK for fluorescence microscopy - BioImageXD

alex gouaillard Alexandre_Gouaillard at hms.harvard.edu
Tue May 12 08:40:05 EDT 2009

On May 12, 2009, at 8:07 AM, Daniel James White wrote:

> On May 12, 2009, at 12:54 PM, alex gouaillard wrote:
>>>
>>> The vtkLSM Reader was a lot of work, because the LMD510 file format
>>> is
>>> a real pig (but at least its fast) ...
>>>
>>> writing file format readers for VTK is a good thing... but better to
>>> put effort into enhancing the
>>> LOCI Bio-Formats java library and use that for microscopy image and
>>> meta data IO.
>>> That way the wheel is not reinvented over and over, and we can all
>>> benefit from each others work more easily.
>>
>> agreed, but I thought that was an ongoing project in the community?
>> I remember a long thread around january about this?
>
> not sure what you mean....
> yes there was a long thread about it...

Sorry, let me explain more in detail.

I agree that writing and maintaining readers is hard. I agree that we
should collaborate as much as possible in that matter, and in both our
cases, (well in any case that involves microscopy datasets i guess)
using bio formats makes a lot of sense.

Now, because of our design / technological choices, we made it
difficult for us to do that. Namely, we have chosen to go for an all C+
+ solution using VTK /  ITK / QT.

As bio format is written in Java, we made it difficult for us to
leverage it. We ended up in a situation where most of the image
processing algorithms we were interested in are in ITK (C++), most of
the visualization is in VTK (C++), and most of the readers in Bio-
formats (java).

We were thrilled to see that curtis was putting bioformat interfacing
with ITK as his main priority in January.

alex.