[Insight-users] Bio-Formats in ITK (was: Re: ITK for fluorescence microscopy - BioImageXD)

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed May 13 10:58:59 EDT 2009

Hi Alex,

I can work on the windows part and take a look at your cmake.

Thank you; I appreciate any insight. Hopefully you can puzzle out what the
build shell script does, and replicate those steps on a Windows system --
it's pretty simple, invoking cmake with ITK_DIR and JACE_DIR variables set,
calling make (which on Windows you need to do manually in Visual Studio)
then copying the resultant libraries to ITK's bin directory.

The other thing I would find really valuable is corrections to anything in
my CMake files that does not conform to ITK's best practices. The
Bio-Formats ITK plugin is modeled after Slicer3's MGH ImageIO plugin, but I
probably still screwed it up. And I wrote the CMake file for the Bio-Formats
C++ bindings from scratch, so it is probably riddled with wrongheaded
constructs.

I could be at the OME meeting the first day, would you be there?

Yes, I will be present all day on both Tuesday and Wednesday.

just one comment on copyright, in US, France and singapore, the only case I
> know well enough to comment on, copyright belongs to the institution and it
> can be problematic to deal with valorization offices to have access to your
> own code after. SO to make it simpler for postdocs that would like to go on
> using their code when they move to another position (public or private) we
> thought that BSD is easier.

Indeed, if your organization coopts your copyright, using GPL could be a
problem. I suppose you could start with BSD then switch to GPL once the
company is formed...

Now, the GPL part might be a bit paranoid, and come from my past at SUN
> microsystem where getting sued was a real threat. Less likely so in our line
> of work, I admit.

It is a tragedy that people are afraid to read one another's code -- but
certainly one of the unfortunate consequences of modern copyright law.

-Curtis