[Insight-users] Build error on OSX: wrap_VXLNumericsPythonPython.o

Darren Weber darren.weber.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 14 19:35:57 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Darren Weber
<darren.weber.lists at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/5/14 Gaëtan Lehmann <gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr>
>

>> Le 12 mai 09 à 20:26, Darren Weber a écrit :
>>

>>> 2009/5/12 Gaëtan Lehmann <gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr>
>>>
>>> Le 12 mai 09 à 19:46, Darren Weber a écrit :
>>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> What's the fix for this issue with dynamic lib builds with python
>>> wrapping in ITK (3.12)?  The linker appears to be building a dynamic lib (or
>>> shared lib, *.so), but perhaps the linker option "-dynamiclib" is missing
>>> somewhere in the cmake config?  Please tell me if there is simple patch to
>>> fix this.  Could it be an issue with using "-Wno-long-double" for the vnl
>>> numerics wrapping?
>>>
>>> This build uses CableSwig build options (ie, cmake ... -D
>>> ITK_CSWIG_PYTHON:BOOL=ON ...), rather than USE_WRAP_ITK.  What is the most
>>> preferred wrapping method for ITK @3.12?  I noticed mention of a new
>>> release, 3.14, in the wings and nearly available.  Does the new release
>>> (3.14) resolve build problems for wrappers (or is the focus of that release
>>> elsewhere)?
>>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I can't recall any problem while building WrapITK on Mac OS X.
>>> Have you tried with WrapITK?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Gaëtan
>>>

>>> I posted a build error the other day when USE_WRAP_ITK was ON.  The title
>>> of that post was "ITK wrap build error on
>>> itkLaplacianRecursiveGaussianImageFilterPython.o"   The error message was
>>> obtuse.  I've had no feedback on that post.
>>>

>> ok, I've missed that one. The message is not much informative for me as
>> well.
>> It seems that you are using stuff from macport. Can you try to build cable
>> swig and itk with the compiler provided with xcode and the default compiler
>> options? That's what I'm doing here without trouble.
>>
>> You can disable most of the WRAP_* options in cmake for the tests, and
>> keep only one dimension in WRAP_ITK_DIMS, to make things a bit faster.
>>

> As a MacPorts developer, working on a Portfile for ITK called
> InsightToolkit, I need to and want to work with MacPorts.  I'm currently
> updating this port to ITK @3.12.0.  MacPorts provides a way to document
> and automate build configurations, including dependencies.  It helps me,
> while simultaneously making my work available to anyone using MacPorts.
> AFAIK, the MacPorts compiler is provided by an xcode installation (I can
> double check the defaults or change to a specific compiler at will).

FYI,

-- The C compiler identification is GNU
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU
-- Check for working C compiler: /opt/local/bin/gcc
-- Check for working C compiler: /opt/local/bin/gcc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /opt/local/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /opt/local/bin/c++ -- works

[ dweber at elegans ~ ]$ ll /opt/local/bin/gcc
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 16 2008-10-29 10:35 /opt/local/bin/gcc ->
/usr/bin/gcc-4.0*
[ dweber at elegans ~ ]$ /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 --version
i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5490)

[ dweber at elegans ~ ]$ ll /opt/local/bin/g++
lrwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 20 2008-10-29 10:35 /opt/local/bin/g++ ->
/usr/bin/bin/g++-4.0
[ dweber at elegans ~ ]$ /usr/bin/bi --version
biff        binhex      bison       bitesize.d
[ dweber at elegans ~ ]$ /usr/bin/g++-4.0 --version
i686-apple-darwin9-g++-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5490)