[Insight-users] WrapITK build questions (for OSX, with ITK 3.12.0)

Darren Weber darren.weber.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 19 18:18:16 EDT 2009

Hi Gaëtan,

I'm new to WrapITK and certainly behind the ball on the latest
developments.  I have a few questions after reading the WrapITK User Guide
(PDF release 0.2 and the
InsightToolkit-3.12/Wrapping/WrapITK/Documentation/Guide.txt).  The User
Guide and Guide.txt indicate that WrapITK is working with ITK 2.8.1 release
(that's the latest release identified in those docs).  Is this documentation
outdated now?  Where do you keep the latest documentation?

I'm currently working with the InsightToolkit-3.12.0.tar.gz release,
together with CableSwig-ITK-3.12.0.tar.gz (which is unpacked into the
<itkSrcPath>/Utilities/CableSwig path to be built with ITK).

In the <itkSrcPath>/Wrapping/, there is:
CMakeLists.txt
CSwig/
CVS/
ExplicitITK/
WrapITK/
itkWrapSetup.cmake

So, is this distribution of WrapITK a tested and recommended "release" of
WrapITK that works with ITK 3.12.0?

In the Guide section on installation (section 1), it suggests getting the
WrapITK source code from your darcs repository.  Is this still the case?  Is
this preferred over using the distribution that is in the
InsightToolkit-3.12.0.tar.gz release?  What about the google-code svn?  That
is, should I used this svn with ITK 3.12.0 and, if so, should it replace the
distribution version in <itkSrcPath>/Wrapping/WrapITK

svn checkout *http*://wrapitk.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ wrapitk-read-only

When ITK 3.12.0 is configured with ccmake, there is an option to
USE_WRAP_ITK (which also requires ITK_USE_REVIEW).  So it appears that
WrapITK can be configured and built along with ITK 3.12.0.  However, the
Guide indicates that WrapITK should be built after building both CableSwig
and ITK.  What is the recommended way to build WrapITK with ITK 3.12.0?

If USE_WRAP_ITK is ON during a cmake configure for ITK 3.12.0, should we
also set these OFF: ITK_CSWIG_JAVA, ITK_CSWIG_PYTHON, ITK_CSWIG_TCL?

There is an installation of swig on my OSX system, provided by MacPorts in
/opt/local/bin/swig, i.e.:

[ dweber at X ]$ swig -version

SWIG Version 1.3.39

Compiled with /usr/bin/g++-4.0 [i386-apple-darwin9.6.0]
Please see http://www.swig.org for reporting bugs and further information

However, the WrapITK guide indicates that CableSwig works with an old
version of swig.  In fact, in the file,
InsightToolkit-3.12/Utilities/CableSwig/SWIG/README:

SWIG (Simplified Wrapper and Interface Generator)

Version: 1.3.21 (January 11, 2003)

Is there a cmake configure variable to define the full path to the swig
binary (so it will use the version supplied with CableSwig and not the
current version installed)?

What is the status of the WrapITK patches for ITK 3.12.0?  Are there any
required patches for ITK 3.12.0 or are there any optional patches for this
release?  How are the patches (if any) applied to the ITK source - is there
a bash script to do this for ITK 3.12.0?

Does WrapITK "replace" any of the native c++ binaries in the build tree?
That is, does it change the c++ API in any of the libitk*.dylibs that are
built from the c++ sources?  In other words, does it alter anything or does
it ONLY add additional methods etc?  Are the alterations or additions built
into the c++ libitk*.dylib files or are they built into additional wrapped
dylibs (on OSX)?

Does WrapITK work with Python 2.6?  On OSX, is it particular about using a
framework build of Python 2.5 or 2.6?

Does WrapITK work with tcl8.4 and tcl8.5 or another specific version of
tcl/tk?

Is WrapITK particular about the version of java used?  The documentation in
the Guide indicates java 1.5.0_06-b05 and 1.4.2_11.  On my OSX 10.5.7
system:
[ root at X ]# java -version
java version "1.5.0_16"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_16-b06-284)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.5.0_16-133, mixed mode)
[ root at X ]# which java
/usr/bin/java

Best regards,
Darren