[Insight-users] Size of build?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu May 21 09:09:08 EDT 2009

Hi John,

The Nightly build of ITK in redwal.kitware, which is a
Windows 64 bits, using Visual Studio 9, is:

                    8.14 Gb

Note that usually you don't need to buidl Examples and
Testing, unless you are planning to graciously contribute
a build to the ITK Dashboard.

The Testing tree takes

                    6.09 Gb

this is how we get 1600 tests to run Nightly and how we
get 83% of code coverage.

while the Examples tree takes

                     723 Mb

This includes abou 400 examples that make up the content
of the ITK Software Guide.

If you just build ITK, without Examples and Testing,
it should come down to about 2 Gb.

Then, if you take only what is needed, (that is, only
the libraries) by making an Installed ITK, you only
need 300Mb.

To be more precise, a fully installed ITK including
all libraries and even Python wrapping takes

                     322 Mb

If you are building with Examples and Testing OFF, the
build shouldn't reach 15 Gb.

I would suggest that you delete that binary tree and
start from scratch.

Let us konw if you still find such a large build size.

BTW: A nice tool for looking at where the memory goes
      is the Treesize application.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TreeSize

You may want to give it a try.

and if you find anything anomalous,