[Insight-users] NumericLimits::min float / int Inconsistency Workaround?

Geoff Topping g_topping at hotmail.com
Thu May 21 18:54:58 EDT 2009

Hi yet again / sorry if this is getting excessive,

I realized that since I'm using a *Binary* filter, I don't actually need a NotImageFilter for my particular case.

If I set the lower threshold for the BinaryThresholdImageFilter to NumericTraits::NonpositiveMin and the upper threshold to NumericTraits::Zero, and the output image inside value to NumericTraits::Zero and the outside value to NumericTraits::One, then I get the image I want: nonpositive input image voxels map to output image voxels of value zero, and positive input image voxels maps to output image voxels of value one.  The critical transition voxels with input image value equal to zero are mapped to output image voxels with value zero, as desired.

This probably isn't as intuitive or obvious as using a NumericTraits::PositiveMin function to set the lower threshold, and NumericTraits::One as the output inside voxel value.

As well, cases with more restrictive ranges of values to map to the inside value would need multiple filtering steps to get non-inclusive range limits.

Geoff Topping