[Insight-users] Processing of median filter in debug

Ivan Macia imacia at vicomtech.org
Fri May 22 14:45:12 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have been doing some 3D image processing with a Median filter. I added
some SimpleFilterWatcher to monitor progress. The input image was not too
large, about 250x40x175. I'm running an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (4 cores) 3
Gb. RAM on WinXP SP3 and ITK 3.12 with VS2008.

The filter was running quite fast in release mode but I thought I had a
problem in debug since the progress did not update and it seemed to be
stuck. Now waiting a bit the progress started to grow at a very low pace.
The thing is that I changed the number of threads to a single thread and the
filter was running much faster in debug mode. In Release mode, as expected,
the it was more than twice faster. Just wondering, is it normal that the
cost of running four threads in debug mode makes it so slow? Is this related
to the IDE or OS?

Thanks in advance

Iván