[Insight-users] Reading 4D images from Dicom files, in a generic manner

David Clunie dclunie at dclunie.com
Sun May 24 10:11:09 EDT 2009

Hi Joel

There are two standard efforts to improve the consistency of
extraction of 3D and 4D volumes for application programmers
who are less interested in the details of DICOM images than
in their use.

One is the new enhanced family of DICOM IODs for CT, MR, PET,
XA, tomosynthesis, OCT, etc., which introduce the concept of the
Dimension Module, which allows for dimensions to be specified
without being terribly concerned about exactly which data
elements vary for each position within a dimension. As an
example of how this might be applicable for perfusion or
diffusion imaging, see the new IHE profiles on the subject,
at:

http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=Radiology_Technical_Committee#Enhanced_CT.2FMR_Supplement

There is expected to be similar work on the cardiac timing
applications done in the next 12 month IHE cycle.

You can find a bunch of presentations on the enhanced
multiframe family of IODs on my web site that include
descriptions of how the Dimensions mechanism works.

Whilst there are currently few devices on the market that use
the enhanced family of objects, you can probably see how this
abstraction might be useful to you, e.g., by building your
own dimension representation for common patterns used by
various different vendors with the "old" DICOM objects
before feeding them to the business logic of your
application that does something with them. That way it
will be easier to add support as the vendors add new
variants and implementations.

The other effort is the so-called "abstract model" of the
DICOM WG 23 API, which is intended to allow the application
host to do the hard work of figuring out the abstraction,
and let the plugin application developer forget about the
nasty details. This is largely based on work contributed
by Bernard Gibaud from Rennes. See:

ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/supps/sup118_pc.pdf

The Sup 118 work is much less mature than the enhanced family
of objects, and any feedback that you have on it would be
appreciated. It is intended to take advantage of the Dimensions
capability of the new object when available, but is not
dependent on it.

To the extent that the XIP project is tracking the WG 23
interface development, and includes ITK and VTK, you may
find that it includes a sufficiently well-defined abstraction
layer for the concept of dimensions such that you do not
need to reinvent this. If it doesn't, I am sure its
developers would appreciate your feedback:

	http://erl.wustl.edu/research/xip.html
	http://www.openxip.org/

David