[Insight-users] ITK 3.16 Packages for Ubuntu Karmic Koala (9.10)

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Mon Nov 2 03:42:28 EST 2009

Le 2 nov. 09 à 09:16, Mathieu Malaterre a écrit :

> Luis,
>
>  That is terrific ! At least Kitware's roadmap is clear ! Thanks so
> much. Gaetan, could you remind me (us?) why you choose to developg
> google/WrapITK instead of directly working on ITK/WrapITK ?

Sure: I made drastic changes in the wrapping process, and it was
absolutely impossible to make it without breaking things.
Also, I made most of the work on my spare time, and so I had no idea
about when things may be usable again (if usable at all).
Last point: cableswig has been replaced by swig (the unmodified one)
and a custom program - igenerator.py - to parse the output of gccxml
and produce a swig interface. Unfortunately, igenerator.py is written
in python, so it adds a dependency on python to build java or tcl
wrappers.

> Is it
> possible to backport google/WrapITK into ITK ?

There are still a few problems:
* dependency on python due to igenerator.py. It should be possible to
recode it in C++, but it's a work with a very low priority on my todo
list, so it's very unlikely to be done soon. But is it really a problem?
* there is a bug - I think in swig - which makes some methods not be
wrapped in tcl. See this test failure for example: http://www.cdash.org/CDash/viewTest.php?onlyfailed&buildid=461742