[Insight-users] "Degenerate" 3D registration question

Venkatram Vishwanath venkatram.vishwanath.cs at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 08:43:29 EST 2009

Hello,

I am looking to register multiple 1024x1024x1 slices and looking for
suggestions on how one can proceed.

The application consists of a X-ray machine that rotates around of a 3D
object(target) along the Y axis and takes 2D images(1024 x 1024) every 10
degrees. As the target may have moved, we are interested in the registration
of the various 2D slices followed by volume rendering of the registered
slices.

As a starting point, I am looking at the VersorRigid3DTransform example
(ImageRegistration8.cxx). the example works well with the "brain" sample
data.
However, when I run with with my dataset, I get the following error:

ExceptionObject caught !

itk::ExceptionObject (0x1016b2dc0)
Location: "void itk::RecursiveSeparableImageFilter<TInputImage,
TOutputImage>::BeforeThreadedGenerateData() [with TInputImage =
itk::Image<float, 3u>, TOutputImage = itk::Image<float, 3u>]"
File:
/Users/venkat/software/ITK/include/InsightToolkit/BasicFilters/itkRecursiveSeparableImageFilter.txx
Line: 275
number of pixels along direction 2 is less than 4. This filter requires a
minimum of four pixels along the dimension to be processed.

This indicates that I might need to use metrics other than gradient based
methods.

Any pointer on how one should proceed would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Venkat