[Insight-users] affine transform without scaling?

Darren Weber darren.weber.lists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 14:09:25 EST 2009

Hi Luis et al.,

In my understanding of itkAffineTransform, there is no (easy or direct) way
to separate out the rotation, scaling, and shearing components of the
transform, because we only have itkAffineTransform::GetMatrix().  In a prior
email of this thread, I had commented that rotation might be extracted from
the Rotate* methods, but that is not so (those methods are for pre/post
compositions).  If it were possible to get the rotation component (say 2D
transform, call this R), the following should provide a scaling component
(call this S; the following uses Matlab syntax):

A = S * R;
S = [ a 0; 0 b ];
R = [ cos(theta)  -sin(theta);  sin(theta)  cos(theta)];
S = A * inv(R);
% where inv(R) = [ cos(theta)  sin(theta);  -sin(theta)  cos(theta)];

Anyhow, has anyone tried to re-write itkAffineTransform.txx so that the
rotation, scaling, and shearing matrix are stored in separate private data
members?  (This is beyond my current abilities to create quickly with
confidence.)  If this is possible, it would provide the potential for
methods like GetRotation(), GetShearing(), GetScaling() and the equivalent
Set methods (which might become easier or clearer than the current methods
for Scale(), Rotate(), etc.).  If this were done, the
ComputeMatrixParameters() method may compose the private members for the
rotation, scaling, and shearing matrices (to provide the composition for
registration methods and thereby "decrease" the parameter dimension for
efficiency).  Does that make sense?  Is this a complex issue due to the
inheritance of itkAffineTransform from MatrixOffsetTransformBase?

Also, what additional functionality does itkScalableAffineTransform provide
beyond itkAffineTransform::Scale()?

Take care,
Darren

BTW, at about line 196 of itkAffineTransform.txx (ITK 3.16.0; similarly for
Rotate3D method at 226), there is a TODO item:

/** Compose with 2D rotation
 * \todo Find a way to generate a compile-time error
 * is this is used with NDimensions != 2. */
template<class TScalarType, unsigned int NDimensions>
void
AffineTransform<TScalarType, NDimensions>
::Rotate2D(TScalarType angle, bool pre)

Would a change to the following provide the compile time error required?

/** Compose with 2D rotation
template<class TScalarType, 2>
void
AffineTransform<TScalarType, 2>