[Insight-users] problems with geodesic active contour segmentation

Sara Rolfe smrolfe at u.washington.edu
Mon Nov 2 19:55:22 EST 2009

Hello,

I am attempting to find the external outline of a skull in a CT
image.  I had been using active contours to do this successfully in
MATLAB, but now I would like to change the implementation to ITK to
improve the speed.  So far I have followed the
GeodesicActiveContourImageFilter.cxx example using an extracted
exterior outline for my feature image and the fast marching filter
seeded with these edge points to initialize a distance map.  This does
not seem to be working correctly since I am either getting (depending
on my parameter selection) segmentations of large blobs around the
skull edge or a single contour generally following the skull outline,
but quite a bit larger.  I have tried the build-in edge feature image
with similar results.  I have a couple of questions.

1.  Am I using the correct method to choose my seeds?  Do they need to
be inside/outside the skull rather than on the edge?  I have tried
both expansion 	  	directions.
2.  Is there a good method to get the segmentation to ignore the
internal skull edge/brain?  In my MATLAB implementation I used region
based contours.  Is 		there support for something similar in ITK?
3.  Is there something else I am doing incorrectly?  Can anyone
explain the behavior that I'm seeing?

Thanks for your help!