[Insight-users] Resampling the moving image?

motes motes mort.motes at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 06:55:24 EST 2009

I am current reading section 8.3 Features of the Registration
Framework of the itkSoftwareGuide.

The image registration method returns a set of final parameters that
maps the fixed image into the moving image space:

  F = original fixed image.
  M = original moving image.
  T = final transform parameters

  T(F) = M' = currently best known alignment wih the moving image.

So when T is applied to F a "best" approximate to the M is computed.

 Its possible to use T to compute (in the resampling process RS) the
"registered" image R which is the original moving image M mapped into
the fixed image space:

 RS = resampler
 RS(M,T) = R

But I don't understand how that works. Assume that a translation
transform T = (1,5)   is returned from the image registration process.
This means that translating all points in F with (x,y) = (1,5) gives a
pretty good approximation to M.

Now in the resampler is T simply negated meaning that T=(-1,-5) is
applied instead of T=(1,5)?

I don't think it makes much sense to apply T directly to M since that
would just further move M.

But I guess I am misunderstanding some basic stuff here.