[Insight-users] Any advice on which adv. segmentation filter to use here?

Roman Grothausmann roman.grothausmann at helmholtz-berlin.de
Wed Nov 4 09:49:43 EST 2009

Dan Mueller wrote:
> Hi Roman,
>
> Not sure if you're still searching for ideas...
>
> If you are, then you might consider investigating a simple binary
> threshold followed by some basic cleaning operations.
>
> From your description of the problem I'm not 100% sure what you are
> trying to achieve (I don't know what a tomogram is, or carbon
> support), but if I've guessed correctly, the attached image may be
> fairly close to your desired output. It was generated as follows:
>     1. binary threshold (lower = 67, upper = 255)
>     2. morphological close (structuring element = circle, radius = 30)
>     3. voting binary iterative hole filling (radius = 12, majority
> threshold = 25)
>
> Of course you can tweak the cleaning operations as required. Some of
> the new label filters in the Review folder may also be useful for
> cleaning the segmentation.

Many thanks for Your ideas and Your help Dan.
It seems I was too careful with my filtering. I didn't go above a radius
of 10. Also I didn't expect this binary voting filter in connection with
a hole filling.
Would You recommend the iterative filter or the one that is only applied
once?
Also I wonder if it makes sense to do a morph. closing then a label
filter another morph. closing and/or binary voting.
In the end I would like to close the "pores" with the least modification
of the already existing "outside surface" (some kind of local convex
hull surface) but it seems to be a long way to get there.

Thanks again for Your help.
Roman