[Insight-users] sparse images?

Darren Weber darren.weber.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 20:49:10 EST 2009

Hi Dan,

The proposal is very interesting.  Having read the PDF, I'll take a look at
the code.  I may be able to offer a review (time permitting).

Do you have any recent examples of using either the SliceContiguous or the
Sparse images to compose a 3D volume from a series of 2D image files?  Do
you somehow

a) Allocate the custom image memory (if known size & pixtype)
b) Create an IO object to read data from an image file
c) manually iterate over the IO object data with Get/Set accessors to put
data into custom image memory
d) Filter, etc. (if possible)
e) Write out image data to disk (somehow)

I can take the performance hit for the sparse image with Setting values.

Should I be looking into streaming data models?  Essentially all I need to
do is stream a set of 2D input data straight out to a 3D output data file.
I'm currently using a series reader (with a regex to define the image
series) and piping it straight to a writer (with vtkIO for the writer).  If
a streaming model is available for this data transfer, it might avoid the
segfaults due to allocation limits (I have plenty of disk space, just not
enough RAM).

Thanks!
Darren