[Insight-users] Need advice on LV MRI segmentation

Barry Branham bhb at branham.ws
Sun Nov 8 21:36:17 EST 2009

Hi all,

I'm working on a project to segment left ventricular walls from 2D MRI
images and would like to get advice on how to proceed with the
epicardial walls.

My project is to segment left ventricular walls (the round ones) from 2D
MRI images.  I'm using 2D because the main application uses Tagged MRI
images for determining tissue displacements for input into an FEA
application for determining wall stress/strains.  And the Imaging
sequence requires long patient breath holds so apparently they are
limited in the number of slices output so my slice spacing is about
8mm.  Fortunately they have recently also acquired non-tagged images
that I can use for segmentation.  I have had good luck segmenting the
endocardial walls using IntensityWindow -> CurvatureFlow ->
ConfidenceConnected, then
DeformableMesh2DFilter which I converted from DeformableMesh3DFilter.

The epicardial walls are harder because of the lack of large gradients
on part of the outside (non-septal) wall.  My current plan is to use a
deformable model generated by getting the major axis from the endo wall
and generating a slightly larger oriented ellipse from that.  I need a
good way to enlarge it to fit the epicardial wall.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Barry Branham
Cardiothoracic Surgery Research
St. Louis, MO