[Insight-users] WrapITK and Java Bindings

Julien Michel julien.michel at c-s.fr
Tue Nov 10 10:31:00 EST 2009

Luis Ibanez a écrit :
> Hi Julien,
>
> This is a very interesting question.
>
> Yes, this could be done...  (...but....)
>

> 1) When you wrap ITK with WrapITK for Java,
>      the java files are generated in the directory:
>
>     ${ITK_BIN}/Wrapping/WrapITK/Java/InsightToolkit
>
> 2) You could go there and run javadoc with a command
>      such as
>
>             javadoc -J-Xmx100m -d Documentation  itkA*.java
>
>      Note that for my test I limited the list to the ITK classes
>      whose name starts with "A".... (you probably will do it
>      with all the *.java files.
>
> 3)  This effectively generates the HTML files in the
>       "Documentation" directory (that was the argument of
>       the -d option of javadoc)
>
> 4) ...but...
>       Since the wrapping process has not carried the C++
>       documentation comments down to the .java files,
>       javadoc can only produce the raw documentation
>       that describes the class hierarchies and the function
>       arguments of every class.
>
> 5)   For this to be really useful, we would have to modify
>       the wrapping process in order to carry along the C++
>       comments above all the ITK classes and methods,
>       to make that information available to javadoc at the
>       level of the Java files.
>
> Would you like to give it a shot at implementing such
> feature in WrapITK ?
>
> or, would you like at least to report this as a
> "feature request" in the Bug tracker ?
>
> http://public.kitware.com/Bug/my_view_page.php

Dear Luis,

I came to the same conclusion : one can generate the javadoc, but it is
not very useful without importing proper information from the C++
doxygen comments.

I may have to solve this issue for some of our needs, and in this case I
would of course be glad to contribute a new feature to WrapITK. However,
I am quite new to swig and WrapITK, so I would need more information on
how (and where) to start.

Regards,

Julien

Julien MICHEL - Ingénieur d'études - Traitement d'images
CS Systèmes d'Information - Division ESPACE
Département Information Géographique & Image
Téléphone : +33 561 17 64 27
Email : julien.michel at c-s.fr