[Insight-users] New to ITK (building a viewer application with ITK and VTK)

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Nov 11 10:44:58 EST 2009

Hi Meena,

I would suggest you to start by taking a look at
the following examples:

InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk/
  itkReadITKImage3DExtractContourVTK.cxx
  itkReadITKImage3DSegmentShowVTK.cxx
  itkReadITKImageSegmentShowVTK.cxx
  itkReadITKImageShowSplineVTK.cxx
  itkReadITKImageShowVTK.cxx

Then also look at these helpful classes:

InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk/
   vtkKWImage.cxx
   vtkKWImage.h
   vtkKWImageIO.cxx
   vtkKWImageIO.h

Then,
you must choose a GUI library.

Typical options are:

     1) FLTK
     2) wxWidgets
     3) Qt

We used to promote FLTK a lot, but now that Qt adopted
a LGPL license, we would encourage you to use Qt.

Once you chose you GUI library, you want to learn
how to display VTK window in it.

If you decide to use FLTK, you will find many
examples in the InsightApplications repository.