[Insight-users] equivalence of Gaussian and low-pass-FFT

Kishore Mosaliganti kishoreraom at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 01:26:24 EST 2009

If your low pass filter in the frequency domain is a Gaussian, then it
is equivalent to Gaussian filtering in the time domain as well. The
two Gaussian sigmas are related in an inverse relationship, if I
remember correctly.

However, there are a variety of window shapes for low pass filters
that may not be a Gaussian and in that case, you only get a similar
result to time-domain Gaussian filtering.

In other words, Gaussian filtering in the time-domain is a special
case of low-pass filtering (LPF). LPF can be done in the frequency
domain using FFT methods for which you need to specify the windowing
used.

ITK does Gaussian filtering in the time-domain and it is easily
accessible, so I recommend that.

Kishore