[Insight-users] Confused abour Optimizer Scales

Auron Ford Huton auron at hotmail.es
Mon Nov 16 03:28:21 EST 2009

Hi ITK!!

First of all, thak you all for answering me about my doubts regarding pixel spacing.

Now I´m a bit confused about what exactly means the Optimizer Scales. I think, for what I coul read, that the optimizer scales are used to compensate the difference between the units of the rotation and the units of the translation, it´s that ok??

I´m using a itkCenteredRigid2DTransform with a itkRegularStepGradientDescentOptimizer and my pixel spacing is about 2.83 micrometres.

Then, if I´m using the followin optimizer scale:

  optimizerScales[0] = 1.0;
  optimizerScales[1] = 1.0;
  optimizerScales[2] = 1.0;
  optimizerScales[3] = 1.0/1000.0;
  optimizerScales[4] = 1.0/1000.0;

what is the real relation between the angle and the translation??? I mean, for each rotation of 1.57 rad, how many micrometers my translation will move??

Thank you in advance.

Auron.