[Insight-users] Local MI value

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Mon Nov 23 23:14:36 EST 2009

Nothing prevents you from instantiating a separate metric and setting
the fixed and moving images on it and calling GetValue() yourself. You
don't need to always drive it from an optimizer (although that is the
typical use case).

You could place this code in your observer. Your instantiated Mattes
metric would use all samples (see the option on the metric). Also set
the transform at the current iteration on the metric.

You may prefer to use itkMutualInformationHistogramImageToImageMetric
. There is no sampling, smoothing with a kernel function etc, if you
plan to use every single voxel.