[Insight-users] itk or vtk to load series of DICOM images

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Nov 26 12:13:47 EST 2009

Hi Jose,

Methods for managing multiple pixel types have been discussed
often in the list.

On simple approach is to use the code described in the following
paper of the Insight Journal

     http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/146

the code from the paper is now available in the InsightApplications
directory, under:

                InsightApplications/Auxiliary/vtk/
                                vtkKWImage.cxx
                                vtkKWImage.h
                                vtkKWImageIO.cxx
                                vtkKWImageIO.h

Note that, although the class is mostly intended for integrating
ITK and VTK, it necessarily addresses the issue of managing
multiple Pixel types in the ITK image.

Note also that the vtkKWImageIO class will read and write DICOM
files and DICOM series for you (by delegating the task to GDCM).