[Insight-users] itk::octree

David Doria daviddoria+itk at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 11:47:26 EST 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 11:42 AM, motes motes <mort.motes at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking at itkOctreeTest.cxx which runs a test on an octree. The
> octree is build from a 3D image where each pixel has a value.
>
> My question is now. Is it possible to use the above octree as
> structure to find the k-nn to a point p?
>
> Assume that we have a 3D image which contains 12*12*12 nodes
> distributed randomly in the volume. Now for a given point p in the
> volume, the nodes within a specified radius r should be returned.
>
> As I understand the octree returns values of pixels and not locations
> but maybe with some modification it could be possible to convert this
> into locations? Does anyone have an idea for this?

My understanding is that typical practice says to use a kdtree for NN
searches and an octree for ray intersections (although I've found the
modified-BSP tree to be MUCH faster at ray intersections). Can someone
verify this?

Were you having a problem doing a NN search with the ITK kdtree?

Thanks,

David