[Insight-users] Object Labeling - Attribute representing neighborhood

Richard Beare richard.beare at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 19:35:10 EDT 2010

Hi,
I've done something like this in the past to implement translocation
assay measurement. The idea there is that you start with cell nuclei
and want to measure expression levels in a donut around them.

As you suggest, simply dilating the objects is a simple way to start,
but there are issues. One is maintaining the labels, and the other is
dealing with the situation in which the objects are closer to each
other than the border thickness you are interested in.

Here's the approach I used:

1) Binarize your label map
2) Compute the distance transform.
3) Use the original label map as markers and apply a watershed
transform using the distance transform as the control image. The
result of this is a voronoi tesselation (roughly, depending on how
good your distance transform is) and the labels are preserved by the
watershed. This also deals with the case of objects being close
together.
4) Finally create a mask by thresholding your distance transform at
the border thickness you are after. Apply this mask to the watershed
output. Remove the original seeds if you want only the borders.

I think this should do what you are after.