[Insight-users] Applying two 2D registration transforms into a 3D image

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Apr 9 18:07:03 EDT 2010

Hi Ganesh,

Thanks for describing the clinical constraints of your application.

Unfortunately the pair of 2D images do not have enough information
to be considered equivalent to a 3D image. Should that be the case,
we would not need CT scanners, and would have been fine with
dual plane X-Ray machines.

but, ... for the sake of being pragmatic, you can certainly claim that
the 2D images carry "some" valuable information that allows you to
"estimate" a "reasonable" deformation in 3D space for a small price.

For example, if you have patient bending over her/his abdomen
between the T1 and T2 images, then you could get most of this
"bending" information from the YZ plane (using LPS coordinates):
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/Proposals:Orientation#DICOM_LPS_Orientation_-_Full_Body_Graphical_Example

You could project that 2D deformation field in 3D, (by simply adding
that the displacement along X is zero), and apply such field to the
3D image using the itkWarpImageFilter.

Note that in that "restricted bending" case, the image in plane XZ
will not be of much use, since tissue in the patient's back will move
upwards, while tissue in the patient's front will move downwards
in that plane, and the projection image will hardly allow you to
disambiguate these two opposite displacements.

So, you probably can use the YZ plane for a "coarse" estimation
of deformations such as Breathing, and bending.

You should be very careful not to extrapolating those estimations
for critical application such as image guided therapy....

The case of a "general deformation" certainly can't be solve with
just a pair of 2D projection images.