[Insight-users] itk::FEM Framework - Adaptive Meshes

Suresh Joshi Suresh.Joshi at insa-lyon.fr
Sun Apr 18 19:01:46 EDT 2010

Hello all,

I'm currently performing registration tests on brain MRI using the ITK
deformable registration methods. All is going well, except in
FEM-land.

Mostly, I know the default mesh created is a rectangular quadrilateral
mesh, but after reading an ITK registration tutorial, I saw
comparisons between sparse/dense triangular meshes, adaptive
quadrilateral meshes and multi-material meshes... Could someone please
tell me how these adaptive meshes were obtained/created?

Or perhaps, "Anatomy-specific meshes can be created using public
domain mesh generators" --> Are there any examples or links to said
mesh generators? And if there are also any details on how these meshes
are actually converted into the FEM mesh, could someone please let me
know?

The final question is about the parameters. While there seem to be a
lot of parameters to tune, the suggestions only discuss keeping the
ratio between rho/E close to 1 and to modify the timestep. And the
rest of the parameters? They can be left at default?

The reason I wonder is because I'm trying to do an as-close-to-optimal
transform parameter comparison, and thus, my laziness (in parameter
tuning) shouldn't keep FEM from getting good results  :)

Thanks a lot,
-Suresh