[Insight-users] itk::FEM Framework - Adaptive Meshes

Suresh Joshi Suresh.Joshi at insa-lyon.fr
Mon Apr 19 04:41:14 EDT 2010

Hey Vincent,

Thanks! I'll take a look at IA-FEMesh... It seems to be what I'm
looking for. And at the moment it's 2D registration, but I will be
moving to 3D soon enough. I currently work with the built-in mesh with
adequate results, but as my educational background has a lot of
mechanical engineering, I'm pretty familiar with FEM and I just don't
think it would be fair to try to compare between registration methods
and not try an adaptive mesh with the FEM technique.

Interestingly enough, it was your previous post about loading and
converting a mesh which kind of spurred my idea of really trying to
find a mesh generator, after seeing that people have, in fact, done it
before.

I have done a lot of searching for FEM parameters with few results.
Unfortunately, it is not exactly the subject of my research at the
moment, but if by chance I stumble upon interesting results in the
course of optimizing the FEM, I will of course share it with the
world. Offhandedly, my current approach is to use an
evolutionary/genetic algorithm to find optimal parameters for me, just
because I can't spare the time to do an in-depth study on them right
now.

Cheers!
-Suresh