[Insight-users] How to calculate volume of an image

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Apr 20 14:33:01 EDT 2010

Hi Mario,

You should simply get the Spacing value from the itkImage, as

     ImageType::SpacingType spacing =  myImage->GetSpacing();

  where

    spacing[0] is the spacing along X
    spacing[1] is the spacing along Y
    spacing[2] is the spacing along Z

The ITK DICOM reader will populate the spacing values
for you.

Please note also that is you already have a segmented
image, you could use several of the "Label" filters in ITK
in order to compute the volume of a labeled region.