[Insight-users] ITK-VTK pipeline progress bar help

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Apr 25 11:04:08 EDT 2010

Hi Somi,

1) Yes, if you are using iterators in order to process data from
     and image, you must encapsulate such processing inside
     a new ITK filter.

     You may find useful to look at the following tutorial:

http://www.na-mic.org/Wiki/images/b/bc/Insight-Writing-a-New-Filter.ppt

2)  You have a point, that if the pipeline end up being
     re-executed every time (due to the intermediate memory
     release) then there is no advantage on using a pipeline
     versus using a procedural approach with iterators.

     but... there is no disadvantage either   :-)

     So, you could certainly go either way.

     My suggestion will be to, at least, create a C++ class
     that encapsulates the whole of your processing, and
     then implement each one of the processing steps as
     methods of that larger class.

     Sometimes we focus too much on the use of the
     pipeline and forget that basic OOP and C++ offer
     natural ways of organizing the code.

  Regards