[Insight-users] 3D thinning algorithm (skeletonization)

Oleksandr Dzyubak adzyubak at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 15:05:11 EDT 2010

Dear colleagues,

This email was inspired by my recent upgrade to ITK 3.18
that caused some my algorithms stopped working
whereas the other started working incorrectly.

Ultimately I figured out that partly the reason for this is that
whenever the community and developers find some
work around or  the bug fix, I just overwrite the headers and templates
and still keep "old" release. Bad practice.

That is exactly what happened to the "BinaryThinning" algorithm.
Couple years ago I tested the "Implementation of a 3D thinning algorithm"
by Hanno Homann (http://hdl.handle.net/1926/1292).
It worked so great that I just carelessly overwrote
the release in-stock "BinaryThinning" algorithm
and happily used that algorithm for couple years.

Since I did not have any doubts that this algorithm is now
a native part of the ITK library,  I was  surprised very much
when found that my programs do not work anymore after
I made upgrade to ITK-3.18.  And it took a  while before I understood why.

Surprisingly the  algorithm by Hanno Homman did not get into 3.18.
Which is more, still there is no even a review /request for that algorithm.

How do the algorithms get into the ITK library?
Is that the review which initializes the process?
Can I promote the algorithm by writing a review?

Regards,

Alex