[Insight-users] 3D thinning algorithm (skeletonization)

Oleksandr Dzyubak adzyubak at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 15:30:19 EDT 2010

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for your advice. I downloaded the submission
http://hdl.handle.net/1926/304 and gave it a try.

My setup: Debian Lenny Linux with gcc version 4.3.2 (Debian 4.3.2-1.1) .

1) GCC gave me a lot of warnings concerning the data type usage
and compatibility in templates. I have already seen that such an issue
happens quite often if you switched from gcc 3.95 (or 4.1) to gcc 4.2
and higher.
So it could be fixed.

2) In general both algorithms extract pretty much the same skeleton
and time performance 3D thinning vs DigitalTopology
is the same: 3 minutes for the image 540x540x541.

3) However, at least on my images, DigitalTopology generates
more loops and some branching points are incorrect.
It should be investigated more accurately though.

Needless to say, that my comparison is highly unfair since
DigitalTopology classes include some "tunning parameters"
whereas I just used defaults.

And you are right in a sense that classes from
the Digital Topology submission have a great potential and flexibility.
But I must admit that my background in Digital Topology
is not as good as Profs. Kovalevsky,  Bertrand, or Malandain.
Thus, I have to refresh my knowledge on this topic before
I start making any changes to the classes.

Concerning the link you provided.

http://voxel.jouy.inra.fr/darcs/contrib-itk/skeletonUtils

My Internet Provider says that "this site was blocked."
Is this one of the consequences of the volcano actions?
Just joking... Anyway, I will try to go to some cafe with Internet Service
and I will try to get to your site from there.

Regards,

Alex