[Insight-users] Call for Papers: MLMI 2010 - (Patent Disclosure ?)

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Apr 29 21:22:22 EDT 2010

Hi Pingkun,

Many thanks for posting this announcement.

Are there any requirements for authors to disclose existing
or pending Patents on the methods that they will present
in this Workshop ?

For example, RSNA has a policy of disclosure that is intended
to protect attendees to their conferences and readers of their
proceedings:

http://www.rsna.org/publications/rad/PIA/policies/conflicts.html

Given the out-of-control status of software patents in the fields
of Medical Imaging and Computer Vision, it will be healthy for
participants to become aware of existing restrictions on the use
of methods and processes that are described in the scientific
literature.

This awareness if particularly important, given that not even
university research activities are exempted from the exclusive
rights of patents, since the ruling on Madey vs Duke in 2002:

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/tfisher/2002Madeyedit.html

"In short, regardless of whether a particular institution or entity is
engaged in an endeavor for commercial gain, so long as the act is in
furtherance of the alleged infringer's legitimate business and is not
solely for amusement, to satisfy idle curiosity, or for strictly
philosophical inquiry, the act does not qualify for the very narrow
and strictly limited experimental use defense. Moreover, the profit or
non-profit status of the user is not determinative."

It is very expensive for universities and companies
to go through the process of adopting methods from
the scientific literature and later learning that their use
is restricted by Patents that were filed just before the
 methods were published.

Please let us know if there is a Patent Disclosure Policy
in this Workshop.

       Best Regards,