[Insight-users] ITK Dashboard: Our plan for fixing the problem with NonUniformBSpline

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Fri Apr 30 08:27:58 EDT 2010

Hello Luis,

I agree with your solution here. It seems much better to use a specific methods to solve the equation where the erroneous or unstable conditions can be better explicitly handled.

However, I am still left with the question what is causing the the compiler error. Is this a real problem in VNL? I suppose we really are not specifically testing vnl, so we can program around these issues.

Brad

On Apr 29, 2010, at 6:08 PM, Luis Ibanez wrote:

> The compilation problem that the (previously untested)
> NonUniformBSpline class is displaying in many platforms:
>
> http://public.kitware.com/dashboard.php?name=itk
>

> arises from the expression in line 313:
>
> The following code:
>
>   vnl_matrix<double> B =
>     vnl_matrix_inverse<double>( N_matrix.transpose() * N_matrix) * N_matrix.transpose() * data_matrix;
>

> is trying to solve the linear system
>
>              X  = N * B
>
> by doing:
>
>         B = ( N' * N )^-1  *  N'  * X
>
> This could be better done by using of
> of the linear solvers in VXL. For example
> the LSQR one that was fixed recently.
>

> So, the suggested plan to solve this
> compilation problem is to replace that
> line 313 with a call to the vnl linear