[Insight-users] Creating 3D RGB image from Enum Image

paniwani paniwani at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 21:08:50 EDT 2010

Hi. I have a 3D image that serves as a "map" for another 3D image. It
indicates the type of voxel at every location in the image. The type
definitions for the voxel type image and regular image are as follows:

enum VoxelType {
Stool=1,
Air=2,
Tissue=3,
Unclassified=4,
StoolAir=5,
TissueAir=6,
TissueStool=7,
    ThinStool=8
};

typedef itk::Image<VoxelType, 3> VoxelTypeImage;
typedef Float4 PixelType;
typdef itk::Image<PixelType, 3> ImageType;

Currently, I can output both the regular image and the voxel type image as
Analyze files and view them using ImageJ. However, I would like to create a
colored 3D version of the voxel type image and view it using ImageJ as well.
What file type would be suitable to view such a 3D RGB image? How would I
write such a file? I have seen this in another post:

"Note that you can do this a lot easier with the new filter:
 itkScalarToRGBColormapImageFilter.txx

and the color map: itkRedColormapFunctor.h

You will find this class described in the Insight Journal paper:
http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/285"

However, whenever I include this filter in my header file C++ says it cannot
find the file. I was able to find the file online and copy it into my source
directory, but even then the itkRedColormapFunctor.h could not be found. Is
there something unique to including and using this filter?

Even if I could get C++ to recognize the filter, how exactly do I go about
using it to create this 3D RGB map? Thanks in advance.