[Insight-users] Image filtering and feature detection-

Dan Mueller dan.muel at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 00:22:12 EDT 2010

Hi Ryan,

You might consider using the "white top hat" operation to remove the background:
    WhiteTopHat = I - Dilate( Erode(I) )
where I is the image, Erode is morphological erosion, and Dilate is
morphological dilation.

You can find an implementation of this operation in:
    Code/BasicFilters/itkWhiteTopHatImageFilter.h

Once the background is removed, a simple global intensity threshold
should suffice to segment the spots. The following filters may be
helpful for that task:
    Code/BasicFilters/itkBinaryThresholdImageFilter.h
    Code/Algorithms/itkOtsuThresholdImageFilter.h
    Code/Review/itkKappaSigmaThresholdImageFilter.h

HTH

Cheers, Dan