[Insight-users] ITK building twice?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Aug 17 08:19:05 EDT 2010

On 08/16/2010 10:09 PM, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> ... is it safe to bypass the second build with "make install/fast"
> or are the extra dependencies important?

The extra dependencies generated the second time are just to make sure
that rules rebuild correctly as files are edited.  For a one-shot
build-and-install from scratch it doesn't matter.  The install->all
dependency is just to be sure binaries are up to date before they
get installed.  If you know you just ran make then it's okay to skip.

> It's a little hard to see what has changed.  In one instance, the
> second build of ProcessUNIX.c simply adds a duplicate include
> option: -I/usr/include/gdcm-2.0 appears twice.

That would be enough.  Something in the CMake code has changed to
tell CMake to add this extra include directory option.  That causes
the "flags.make" for every target to be rewritten, which tells make
to rebuild everything because the rules have changed.

As an experiment, try this sequence:

  cmake /path/to/src/ITK
  cmake .
  make