[Insight-users] OtsuThreshold equivalent to Multiple Otsu with NumberOfThresholds = 1 equivalent to results of other programs?

Roman Grothausmann roman.grothausmann at helmholtz-berlin.de
Thu Aug 19 08:55:44 EDT 2010

Dear mailing list members,

Is the result of OtsuThresholdImageFilter equivalent to the result of
OtsuMultipleThresholdsImageFilter with NumberOfThresholds = 1?

I'm wondering why the ITK OtsuThresholdImageFilter yield different
Otsu-threshold values than another program called MAVI. The found values
differ significantly between ITK and MAVI.
Why could that be?
MAVI doesn't bin the histogram, so for 8-bit input I use 256 as
NumberOfHistogramBins in ITK. Would that be correct?

Any help is very much appreciated
Roman

--
Roman Grothausmann

Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie GmbH
Bereich Funktionale Materialien
Institut für angewandte Materialforschung
Hahn-Meitner-Platz 1
D-14109 Berlin

Tel.: +49-(0)30-8062-2816
Fax.: +49-(0)30-8062-3059

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Joachim Treusch
Stellvertretende Vorsitzende: Dr. Beatrix Vierkorn-Rudolph
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Anke Rita Kaysser-Pyzalla, Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c.
Wolfgang Eberhardt, Dr. Ulrich Breuer
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Berlin
Handelsregister: AG Charlottenburg, 89 HRB 5583