[Insight-users] [Insight-developers] Replacing Sparse Matrix Linear Solver : due to Licensing issues

Arnaud GELAS arnaud_gelas at hms.harvard.edu
Mon Feb 1 16:08:42 EST 2010

Hi Luis,

Great idea to start a wiki page! I'll edit it!

Do you want to restrict this page to sparse linear solvers? What about
sparse eigen decomposition?

Sparse direct solver usually starts by reordering the matrix, then
factorization (decomposition) part follows, and finally if you are
willing to the linear system is solved.
The reordering part is often performed by using METIS library
(http://glaros.dtc.umn.edu/gkhome/views/metis).
The license of the latest version
(http://glaros.dtc.umn.edu/gkhome/fetch/sw/metis/metis-5.0pre2.tar.gz)
states:

The METIS package is copyrighted by the Regents of the University of
Minnesota. It can be freely used for educational and research purposes
by non-profit institutions and US government agencies only. Other
organizations are allowed to use METIS only for evaluation purposes,
and any further uses will require prior approval. The software
may not be sold or redistributed without prior approval. One may
make copies of the software for their use provided that the copies,
are not sold or distributed, are used under the same terms and
conditions.

An usual set up for taucs require metis, and link against metis...

So, we should first check with people from TAUCS if metis is really
required?
(If we could skip the reordering part at the cost of lower performances).

And if it can not be optionally replaced by boost-BGL reordering
algorithms
(http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_41_0/libs/graph/doc/table_of_contents.html),
or by another library BSD compliant?

Arnaud