[Insight-users] Parametric vs. Non-parametric image registration?

motes motes mort.motes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 04:03:54 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 9:21 AM, Lodron, Gerald
<Gerald.Lodron at joanneum.at> wrote:

> Parametric means that you can model the transformation via a formula which is only dependend on a few parameters, e.g.
>
> f(x,y) = (x',y') = (x,y) + (tx, ty)
>
> Here the parameters of that "translation transform" are tx and ty.
>

> Nonparametric means that the transformation cannot be represented by such an formular, you need an explicit deformation vector for EVERY pixel. That is for an 2D MxN image a MxNx2 deformation > field. It should be clear that a parametric transaformation is much easier to invert and smaller to save.

Ok but which well known method use a non-parametric approach? When I
look in eg. the itkSoftwareguide all transforms are based on the
parametric approach.

Now for the BSplineDeformationTransform a deformation vector is
actually computed for each pixel (the final deformation field), though
its through interpolation and from a smaller number of "prototype"
deformation vectors. But still this transform is a parametric
transform.