[Insight-users] Release data flag

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Feb 5 13:13:01 EST 2010

Hi Gerald,

These methods are intended to release memory from
filters that are connected in a pipeline.

The typical scenario for using them is when your pipeline,
at run-time requires more memory than what you have
available in RAM.

If you have a pipeline of  at least three filters connected
as:

               FilterA -->   FilterB --> FilterC

when you call Update() in FilterC, the pipeline will execute
FilterA first, then FilterB, and finally FilterC.

As you can see, by the time you need to run FilterC, the
output of FilterA has already been used by FilterB in order
to compute the input of FilterC.    Therefore, at the moment
of running FilterC, we could dispose (release) the memory
allocated for the output of FilterA.

The pipeline can do that release of memory for you.
If before running the pipeline, you call

            FilterA->ReleaseDataFlagOn();

and of course, if you call

            FilterA->ReleaseDataFlagOff();

then the pipeline will return to its default behavior,
which is to keep in memory the output of each one
of the filters.