[Insight-users] How to calculate a volume

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Feb 5 13:58:37 EST 2010

Hi Xi,

You could use:

1) StatisticsImageFilter
    and call GetSum()

    and then multiply by the pixel volume,
    as Marius suggested.

or

2)  itkLabelStatisticsImageFilter.h
      and call GetCount()

    and then multiply by the pixel volume,
    as Marius suggested.

or

3)  itkImageMomentsCalculator.h
      and call GetTotalMass(), then divide
      by the label value of the mask, and
     multiply by the pixel volume

OR

4)   itkLabelGeometryImageFilter.h
      can call GetVolume( label )
      where "label" is the label value
     of your mask.

For this option you may find useful to
read the Insight Journal paper:

 *  "A Label Geometry Image Filter for Multiple Object Measurement"
 *  by Padfield D., Miller J
 *  http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/301
 *  http://hdl.handle.net/1926/1493

OR

5)  Use itkShapeLabelMapFilter.txx

     and in the output itkShapeLabelObject,
     call:

                     GetPhysicalSize().

     For this option you will find useful to
     read the following Insight Journal paper:

     http://hdl.handle.net/1926/584
     http://www.insight-journal.org/browse/publication/176
     by Gaetan Lehmann.
     Biologie du Developpement et de la Reproduction,
     INRA de Jouy-en-Josas, France.