[Insight-users] Bone removal

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Feb 17 18:05:41 EST 2010

Hi David,

If the vessels are close enough to the bone
as to share a pixel, there will not be much
that intensity-based methods could do.

Have you tried the use of Hessian-based methods
in order to identify the blood vessels ?

You may want to consider a bootstrap approach
in which you first do a conservative extraction of
blood vessels (no need to get them up to the border
that touches the bone).

Then mark such blood vessels as excluded pixels,
and perform a bone segmentation.

Then marks the bone pixels as excluded pixels and
do a second pass (more refined) for blood vessels.

You may find useful to look at the following
resources:

A)  InsightApplications/Curves3DExtractor
http://www.itk.org/ITK/applications/Curve3DExtraction.html

B)  InsightApplications/DuctExtractor

C) VMTK  ( http://www.vmtk.org/ )

D) Lesion Sizing Toolkit